Besides Affogato drink, Espresso Con Panna is my other favorite espresso variation. The name of the drink means “espresso with cream” in Italian. It consists of a shot of espresso topped with a dollop of whipped cream, creating a harmonious blend of rich, intense coffee flavors with the smooth and slightly sweet touch of whipped cream.
What I love about Espresso Con Panna is its simplicity. It’s not a complicated concoction with a dozen ingredients; instead, it lets the quality of the espresso shine, complemented by the luxurious addition of whipped cream. The contrast between the strong, dark coffee and the light, airy cream creates a delightful balance that blows me away.
One of the joys of Espresso Con Panna is its versatility. You can customize it to suit your taste preferences. Prefer a stronger coffee flavor? Go easy on the cream. Craving a sweeter experience? Pile on a bit more whipped cream. It’s a beverage that adapts to your mood and preferences.
Here’s how to make a traditional Espresso Con Panna:
Espresso Con Panna – Espresso With Cream
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder e.g., Cafe Bustelo or Nescafe
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp whipped cream
- Sugar to taste Optional
- In a cup, add 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder. Pour hot water over the espresso powder and stir until it's completely dissolved.
- If you like your coffee on the sweeter side, you can add sugar to taste. Stir well to ensure it dissolves.
- Gently spoon 2 tablespoons of whipped cream on top of the espresso. You can use ready-made whipped cream or make your own.
- Your Espresso Con Panna is ready! Serve and enjoy.
You can add ice to the espresso to make Iced Espresso Con Panna. You can also make an espresso whipped cream with a swirl of rich caramel sauce and a sprinkle of sea salt.