I’ve got a new neighbor, and she’s Italian—friendly and all-around nice. We got to chatting, and thanks to her, I discovered the wonders of Affogato. It’s a game-changer!
Easy Affogato recipe
Affogato is an Italian dessert or drink where a shot of hot espresso is poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato, creating a delightful contrast of temperatures and flavors.
Its name literally means “drowned” in Italian, and that’s precisely what happens to the scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato when it’s drenched in a shot of hot espresso.
The classic Affogato requires only two primary ingredients: a shot of freshly brewed espresso and a scoop of high-quality vanilla ice cream or gelato. After trying this dessert recipe a few times, I realized that I could swap ice cream with sorbet for a lighter and fruitier option.
Here is how to make Affogato:
- 1 scoop of high-quality vanilla ice cream or gelato or you can try sorbet
- 1 to 2 tbsp of instant coffee powder or instant espresso powder
- 30 ml water
making a hot shot of espresso
- Heat about 1 ounce (30 ml) of water. It's essential to have hot water for the best extraction.
- In a small cup, add the instant coffee. Pour the hot water over the coffee, and stir well until the coffee granules are completely dissolved.
- Place a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato into a serving dish or a heat-resistant glass.
- As soon as the shot of espresso is ready, pour it over the ice cream. The heat will begin to melt the ice cream, creating a delightful blend of hot and cold.
- Affogato is best enjoyed promptly after assembling to experience the contrast in temperatures and textures. The result should be a creamy, melty, and delicious dessert.
The simplicity is part of the drink’s charm. However, you can create other variations based on this basic recipe.
- Flavor Twists: Instead of vanilla ice cream, you can experiment with different ice cream flavors like chocolate, matcha, hazelnut, or salted caramel.
- Alcoholic Infusions: For the adults, a splash of liqueur like amaretto, Baileys, or Kahlúa can turn your dessert into a sophisticated nightcap.
- Frozen Affogato: Freeze your strong brewed coffee into ice cubes and then combine it with ice cream, gelato, or even granita.
- Toppings: You can sprinkle crushed nuts, chocolate shavings, or a dash of cinnamon on top for a visually appealing and flavor-packed upgrade.
- Seasonal combination: Match this drink to the season. In the summer, try it with a scoop of fruity sorbet, and in the winter, opt for a spiced or gingerbread-flavored ice cream.