Tonight, I’m hoping to tempt you with a Thai Prawn Noodle Soup – one of my favorite midweek meals, especially at this time of year.
I have loved Thai food for years, but I didn’t make my own for a long time, believing it to be difficult. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Once I had made my first forays into Thai cooking, I didn’t look back, and now I am rarely without the basic ingredients to whip up a Thai curry, or a soup like this one (like Khao Soi).
The flavors of Thai food are so fragrant and light, spicy, but not overpowering – and perfect on a summer’s evening. Thai prawn soup with noodles is not a Winter soup – it is a perfect light meal for eating al fresco.
The whole Thai prawn and noodle soup dish only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and leaves very little in the way of washing up, so it gives you more time to linger over dinner, catching up with your nearest and dearest, and perhaps sipping a glass of wine in the fading evening sun. Best of all, even though it is a quick dish, it is full of wholesome ingredients and you will still have the satisfaction of making something from scratch.
Here is how to make Thai prawn noodle soup:
Thai Prawn Noodle Soup
- 1 packet rice noodles Ready To Wok or another similar type of other brands
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 an onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- Handful of prawns
- Handful of sugar snap peas chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 kaffir lime leaf optional
- A few fresh coriander leaves
- Heat 1 tsp light vegetable oil in a deep wok and add the diced onion and garlic. Gently fry over a low heat until beginning to soften.
- Add the carrot, pepper, and sugar snap peas and turn up the heat. Stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce. Reduce heat and stir well. Add the kaffir leaf, ginger, chilli, prawns and noodles, continuing to stir for a couple of minutes until everything is warmed through.
- To serve, discard the kaffir lime leaf and sprinkle with a few coriander leaves.
There are many types of Thai noodle soup and Thai shrimp noodle soup is one of the best recipes. The harmonious blend of succulent prawns, fragrant herbs, and aromatic spices in this dish truly makes it shine. So, gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and savor the goodness of Thai cuisine in your house.