Whenever I am feeling a little bit sad, stressed, or worried, I bake. I find the process incredibly therapeutic, not to mention that there will be something delicious at the end of it to beat the blues.
And I decided, in my baking therapy session, that I needed cookies badly, to hell with how much sugar is in them. I needed the childhood comfort of a big, chewy cookie, but with a grown-up edge of beautiful, elegant ingredients. So, instead of standard or peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, I decided on a combination of cranberries and white chocolate – white chocolate cranberry cookies.
As soon as I began mixing the ingredients, I felt much calmer, and once the white chocolate and cranberry cookies were in the oven, flooding the house with their irresistible smell, they were the only thing on my mind.
I’m pretty sure these cranberry white chocolate cookies would solve most problems, even if just in the short term. So if something is worrying you, give these a try. You can even dispel your worry by enjoying these white chocolate cranberry cookies with a cup of Masala Chai. This is my quick and easy cranberry white chocolate cookie recipe:
White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies
- 100 g butter
- 100 g light muscavado sugar
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 200 g plain flour I used Dove’s Farm Gluten-Free
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla Essence
- 30 g Dried Cranberries
- 50 g White Chocolate chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190oC. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In one bowl, put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, a sprinkle of cinnamon and the pinch of salt. Set to one side.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until smooth.
- Slowly add the beaten egg, mixing after each addition.
- Add a few drops of the vanilla essence and stir it in.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to get a dough. Then gently stir in the cranberries and chocolate pieces.
- A tablespoon of the dough is about the right amount; make sure there is lots of space between the portions on the baking trays as they spread while cooking.
- Bake for about 10 mins – they should spread and go golden.
- Remove from oven when still slightly squishy to the touch; they will harden on the outside whilst cooling but you will keep a nice soft and chewy centre. When they have cooled for about 5 mins on the trays, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The white chocolate cranberry cookie recipe is a simple but healthy and harmonious combination, while the cinnamon adds just a little bit of warmth and depth of flavor. They are gratifyingly easy to make and even better to eat, so relax and enjoy. I even ate one with a glass of milk, the ultimate happy combination.
You can create your own white chocolate and cranberry cookie recipe by adding other ingredients like whole grains and nuts, such as walnuts (white chocolate cranberry walnut cookies), almonds, oatmeal, macadamia nuts (white chocolate cranberry macadamia nut cookies), pistachios (cranberry white chocolate pistachio cookies), or coconut (white chocolate cranberry coconut cookies).