This Christmas, our family is gearing up for a cozy dinner, and I’m in charge of the drinks. I’ve got my eye on a Cranberry Martini or a Cranberry Moscow Mule. The deep red color and the fruity kick seem like the perfect choice to complement the holiday spirit.
But, there are kids too. I opted for something suitable for everyone – Virgin Piña Colada. It’s smooth, tropical-flavored, tasty, and non-alcoholic.
Creamy Virgin Piña Colada recipe
Virgin Piña Colada is a non-alcoholic version of a traditional Pina Colada. It has no rum. This makes it suitable for everyone at a Christmas dinner or party, from children and designated drivers to those who simply prefer non-alcoholic options.
Not only does the Virgin Piña Colada taste amazing, but it also pairs well with a variety of holiday dishes. Its tropical flavors can complement the richness of Christmas ham, the savory goodness of roasted turkey, or the spiciness of holiday appetizers. The drink’s sweetness provides a delightful contrast that can cleanse the palate between bites.
I used pineapple chunks instead of pineapple juice. This will make the drink thicker, more textured, and pineapple-forward. Here is how to make Virgin Piña Colada:
Healthy Virgin Piña Colada
- 2 cups of frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream
- 2 tbsp of honey or sugar adjust to taste
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- Pineapple slices and maraschino cherries for garnish optional
- In a blender, combine the frozen pineapple chunks, coconut milk, coconut cream, honey (or sugar), and ice cubes.
- Blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary by adding more honey or sugar.
- Pour the Virgin Piña Colada into serving glasses.
- Garnish with pineapple slices and maraschino cherries if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the tropical goodness!
Piña Colada Variations
The Piña Colada is a classic tropical cocktail that’s like a vacation in a glass. It typically consists of rum (e.g. Malibu), coconut cream, and pineapple juice, blended with ice until smooth, creating a perfect balance of sweet and tropical flavors. The drink even has a National Day in the US – July 10.
While the traditional Piña Colada recipe is amazing, there’s a whole world of variations for you to explore. Here are some best pineapple colada recipes you can make at home:
- Berry Piña Colada: You can toss in a handful of your favorite berries—strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries—into the blender along with the usual ingredients. This adds a sweet and tart dimension to the creamy concoction.
- Mango Piña Colada: By adding mango to the mix, you have a sun-soaked tropical variation that transports you straight to a beachside paradise.
- Mint Piña Colada: Muddle fresh mint leaves into the mix or add a hint of mint syrup for a cooling twist. It’s like a tropical mojito with a creamy coconut kick.
- Blue Piña Colada is made by adding blue curaçao to the mixture. This vibrant liqueur not only gives your drink a stunning azure hue but also brings a subtle orange flavor to the mix.
- Spiced Piña Colada: With a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, or even a hint of ginger, you can add depth and complexity to the familiar flavors.
- Citrus Piña Colada: For this version, you can incorporate citrus fruits like orange or lime to create a citrusy punch that balances the richness of coconut cream.
- Coffee Colada is perfect for the coffee lovers. By adding a shot of cold brew or coffee liqueur to your Piña Colada, you’ll have a rich and indulgent treat—a perfect pick-me-up with a tropical twist.
- Vanilla Velvet: Introduce the sweet and aromatic notes of vanilla to your Piña Colada. Whether it’s vanilla extract, vanilla-flavored rum, or vanilla-infused coconut cream, this variation adds a touch of sophistication to the classic cocktail.
- Virgin Piña Colada: This is a non-alcoholic recipe with a harmonious blend of coconut cream and pineapple, served over ice, offering a delightful alternative for everyone to savor the tropical goodness without the kick.
- Piña Colada Milkshake is a creamy blend of coconut cream, fresh pineapple, and vanilla ice cream. This delightful smoothie is cool and non-alcoholic, perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth on a sunny day.
- Peanut Colada: This nutty coconut pineapple drink adds a savory note to the classic cocktail, creating a unique and delicious fusion that’s sure to surprise and delight your taste buds.
- Chocolate Colada is a dream come true for sweet tooth. Add a splash of chocolate liqueur or melt some chocolate and mix it with coconut cream, pineapple juice, rum, and ice.
- Strawberry Piña Colada: Strawberries and coconut are a match made in heaven. It’s a delightful combination of sweet, tangy, and creamy flavors.