how to make non alcoholic sangria
I’ve been on my journey through various culinary experiences, trying different types of drinks, from cocktails to mocktails. There is a particular drink that stands out – the delightful Sangria mocktail. Non-alcoholic sangria is a non-alcoholic beverage that takes inspiration from the traditional Spanish sangria.
The traditional sangria has its roots in Spain and Portugal, with a history spanning centuries. The name “sangria” comes from the Spanish word “sangre,” meaning “blood,” due to the red color of the wine-based drink. This concept of blending wine with fruits dates back to ancient civilizations, where such mixtures were enjoyed for taste and preservation.
Sangria became popular in 18th-19th century Spain, evolving with various regional and family adaptations. The core idea remained consistent: combining wine, fruits, sweeteners, and sometimes spirits for a flavorful, cooling beverage. It gained global recognition, becoming a fixture in Spanish and Portuguese culture.
The Sangria mocktail offers a non-alcoholic take on the classic, catering to those who abstain from alcohol. Bursting with vibrant colors and flavours, the mocktail captures the sangria’s essence without wine or spirits.
With its vibrant medley of fruits, enticing aroma, and a perfect balance of tanginess and sweetness, the sangria mocktail swiftly became my favorite that can be enjoyed on any occasion. Every sip felt like a tantalizing dance of flavours, a symphony that played on my taste buds. Here’s a simple non alcoholic Sangria recipe along with some notes to help you create a delightful Sangria mocktail:
Sangria Mocktail (Non Alcoholic Sangria)
- 2 cups grape juice red or white, depending on your preference
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup adjust to taste
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 apple diced
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 lime sliced
- 1 cup mixed berries strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- 2 cups sparkling water or club soda
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- 1 cinnamon stick optional
- 1/4 cup diced pineapple optional
- 1/4 cup diced peaches optional
- Any other favourite fruits you enjoy optional
- In a large pitcher, combine the grape juice, orange juice, lemon juice, and honey or maple syrup. Stir until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Add the sliced oranges, diced apple, sliced lemon, sliced lime, and mixed berries to the pitcher. If using optional additions like cinnamon stick or pineapple, add them as well.
- Gently muddle the fruits with a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon to release their juices and flavours.
- Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and let the mixture macerate for at least 1-2 hours.
- Just before serving, add the sparkling water or club soda to the pitcher and stir gently.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes and pour the Sangria mocktail into each glass.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves for an aromatic touch.
- Serve and enjoy your refreshing Sangria mocktail!
sangria mocktail variations
There are lots of sangria mocktail variations with different flavours. You can create your own one by changing the fruit ingredients and adjust the sweetness according to your preferences. Here are some variations of sangria mocktails that you can try:
- Citrus Burst Sangria mocktail: A refreshing blend of orange juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and lemon slices, topped with sparkling water for a fizzy kick.
- Berry Bliss Sangria mocktail: Combine cranberry juice, mixed berry puree, and a splash of pomegranate juice. Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves.
- Tropical Paradise Sangria: Mix pineapple juice, mango puree, and coconut water. Add slices of tropical fruits like kiwi, pineapple, and passion fruit.
- Apple Cinnamon Sangria mocktail: Use apple juice as the base and add a cinnamon stick, apple slices, and a touch of honey. Top with club soda for a sparkling finish.
- Watermelon Mint Sangria: Blend watermelon chunks and strain the juice. Mix with fresh mint leaves, lime juice, and a hint of agave syrup.
- Herbal Infusion Sangria Mocktail: Brew a strong hibiscus or herbal tea and chill it. Combine with cranberry juice, orange slices, and a sprig of rosemary.
- Ginger Peach Sangria: Create a mixture of peach nectar and ginger syrup. Add sliced peaches and a squeeze of lemon for a zesty twist.
- Pomegranate Basil Sangria Mocktail: Mix pomegranate juice, basil leaves, and a touch of lime juice. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and a fresh basil sprig.
- Minty Green Tea Sangria: Brew green tea and let it cool. Combine with fresh mint leaves, cucumber slices, and a splash of lemon juice.
- Blackberry Sage Sangria: Create a blackberry puree and add sage leaves for a unique herbal note. Mix with white grape juice and top with sparkling water.
Whether enjoyed on a warm summer day, at a festive gathering, or as a sophisticated non-alcoholic option, this sangria mocktail certainly impresses and satisfies you.