While I have a sweet tooth, I also love cheese and have even been known to choose it above a pud at the end of a meal. I also made quite a lot of dishes with cheese like baked tomatoes with Mozzarella or spinach goat cheese quiche.
But, perhaps the most heavenly thing of all is the pairing of sweet and savory, which is what I have tried to do with this recipe. I first discovered roasted pears with pecorino cheese in Italy (where better to discover pecorino than in its home country?) thanks to my friend.
Pecorino cheese is a quintessential Italian dairy delight. The word “pecorino” is derived from the Italian word “pecora,” meaning sheep, which aptly describes the primary milk source for this cheese.
Pecorino cheese comes in various forms and flavors, each reflecting the distinct characteristics of the region in which it is produced. Some of the most well-known varieties include pecorino Romano, pecorino Calabrese, pecorino Toscano, pecorino Sardo, and pecorino Siciliano.
The nutty, salty flavor of the cheese contrasts with the sweetness of the pears so well. So, for this simple roasted pear recipe, I’ve added some extra ingredients that are all-natural and nutritious, but which make it seem like an ultra-decadent dish. Quince Jelly, or membrillo, is a Spanish specialty, usually paired with manchego cheese.
Manchego is also a hard ewe’s cheese but is more creamy and less salty than pecorino. Here, the membrillo is a complement to the pears and balances well against the cheese. Walnuts bring out the nutty flavor of the cheese, while a drizzle of honey and balsamic vinegar just adds a final flourish, an extra depth to the taste. To complete your flavor, you can enjoy this roasted pear dish with a glass of iconic Manhattan Cocktail.
I am definitely more of a baker than a cook, but sometimes there is something so satisfying about putting together a combination of wonderful flavors that just make you smile. I hope you enjoy this rustic, simple dish – roasted pears with pecorino cheese as the star. This is how to make healthy roasted pears with Pecorino cheese.
Roasted Pears with Pecorino
- 2 small blush or cornice pears
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 tsp of membrillo quince jelly
- Rocket and Spinach leaves
- A handful of walnuts
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with foil.
- Halve and core the pears, place onto the tray and roast in the oven. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning the pears over halfway through, until just soft and tinged brown at the edges.
- Remove from oven and fill the centres of the pear halves with membrillo, about a teaspoon in each. Cover with thinly sliced pecorino.
- Return to oven for 5-10 minutes, until the pecorino is just beginning to brown. It doesn’t melt completely – it holds its shape, but it takes on a wonderful flavour.
- Prepare plates with a handful of rocket and spinach leaves and put the pear halves on top. The leaves will begin to just wilt slightly. Drizzle with honey and balsamic – you do not need very much of either, so as not to overpower the pears and cheese. Garnish with a few walnut halves and serve immediately.