what is chocolate cornflake cake?
Chocolate cornflake cakes, also known as chocolate cornflake clusters, are a popular and easy-to-make treat enjoyed by people of all ages. I have to admit that this chocolate and cornflake cake is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever done.
These delightful confections are made from a few simple ingredients and require no baking. It’s an easy-peasy sweet treat that children love making, as well as eating. They are basically no-bake chocolate ‘nests’ made of melted chocolate, sultanas, and crushed cornflakes. These cakes are among my favorite chocolate cakes on the chocolate dessert list.
In my family, these chocolate cornflake cookies are called doodlebugs. As a child during the Blitz, my grandma was scared of the German bombing missiles, known as Doodlebugs, which would drone as they flew overhead. So her mum made these little cornflake buns with her, and said: “You don’t need to worry about doodlebugs; they’re only chocolate biscuits!”
There are various delicious variations of chocolate cornflake cakes. You can create them by adding different ingredients you like, such as cocoa powder, marshmallows, golden syrup, honey, nuts, etc.
Easy recipe for chocolate cornflake cookies no bake
They are one of the first things I ever made in my grandma’s kitchen, and even today, chocolate cornflake cakes make me feel happy. Forget pimping them up with nuts, posh cereals, and other fancy dried fruit: this easy and simple combination of ingredients is the best, hands down.
Going back to school after the long holidays can be exciting and a bit nerve-wracking. When I was a primary school teacher, the first few days of term often saw more than a few tears as children readjusted to the classroom. Nervous parents don’t worry: they’re usually over it by break time!
Still, there’s nothing better than chocolate cornflake nests tucked into your lunch box to let you know that your loved ones are thinking of you, or a chocolatey treat waiting for you when you get back home after your first day – and that goes for adults as well as children!
So, to my chocolate cornflake cake recipe, I added some ‘love notes’ crafted from icing. No, these are not the healthiest of treats, but once in a while, to calm first-day nerves or as a Friday treat, they are ideal. I just used colored icing pens to write different messages; you could apply them to any occasion. Here is how to make chocolate cornflake cakes without golden syrup, no butter:
It’s a stress-free, fun recipe to surprise someone you love. I hope they make you as happy as they make me!
Chocolate Cornflake Cakes – Love Note Doodlebugs
- 110 g milk chocolate You can use dark chocolate for vegan version
- 50 g cornflakes
- 40 g sultanas
- 100 g ready-to-roll fondant icing
- Writing icing pens
- Break the chocolate into pieces. Set 3 pieces aside, and melt the rest over a pan of simmering water.
- Crush the cornflakes into the chocolate and add the sultanas.
- Stir until the mixture comes together.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and refrigerate until the doodlebugs are set.
- Meanwhile, roll out the icing very thinly and write your desired messages onto the icing. Cut out the messages with a small, sharp knife.
- If you like, you can also make ‘envelopes’ for decoration by cutting out larger, identical squares and folding in three of the corners. Seal the edges by brushing them with water.
- Once the doodlebugs have set, melt the remaining chocolate and use to stick the icing messages on.